To pilot an ROV has never been easier, you just need your laptop and to install an application:
QGroundControl is an open-source application created for the configuration, control and planification of missions in any device which uses the MAVLink protocol based on controllers compatible with ArduPilot. It is designed to be an easy-to-use tool both for beginners and professionals. The complete code is Open-Source so everybody can contribute and help making it an excellent tool.
No REC version:
There are some Windows users that reported a laggy video streaming. Thanks to jaxxzer from Blue Robotics, they can use a modified version of QGC with the recording option disabled, which brings a better video performance. This can be downloaded for Windows (other versions available from his GitHub page):
ArduSub Companion Software can be updated from the web UI. Just make sure that your battery is fully charged and that Raspberry Pi 3 has access to the Internet:
- Go to 192.168.2.2:2770. Select yout WIFI network and password, and click on “Connect”
- At 192.168.2.2:2770/system, click on “Update companion”
- Wait for 10-20 minutes. If the update is completed, the companion version should show the new ID
If your companion is an older version and you cannot see the web UI, or for a fresh installation, follow these steps.
The latest ArduSub Companion image can be downloaded from this link.
The ArduSub project is a fully-featured open-source solution for remotely operated underwater vehicles (ROVs) and autonomous underwater vehicles (AUVs). It is under permanent develelopment, with an active community working on it. For detailed information, check out the main site.
You can download the latest version here. The firmware can be installed directly via USB, using QGroundControl, following these steps:
- Save your parameters: Vehicle Setup Page –> Parameters tab: Click the Tools dropdown menu in the upper right hand corner and select Save to file.
- Go to the Vehicle Setup Page and click the Firmware tab
- Plug your Autopilot via USB
- Choose “ArduPilot Flight Stack” and “Stable” version (recommended)
- Click on “Ok” and wait a few seconds
- Load your parameters Vehicle Setup Page –> Parameters tab: Click the Tools dropdown menu in the upper right hand corner and select Load from file
- Reboot and enjoy!
If you are using the Blue Robotics Companion Software (Raspberry Pi 3 Companion), you can automatically update the firmware:
- Navigate to 192.168.2.2:2770/system. Click the button under the ‘Pixhawk Firmware Update’ section that says ‘Stable’.
- Wait for the update process to complete, and you are finished!